Saturday, July 11, 2009

Progress... but it's slow

I should have somebody working on the window in the front door right now. He's also designing a new window to go above the door that will match it to a degree, but I'm waiting on what he comes up with so I can say which one to go with. I'm really looking forward to this being done... I hope this is the last 'pre-window' post!

The insurance company is coming on Monday to have a look at the roof. The first thing both roofers said when they got up there was 'look at all the hail damage!' It did hail on February 10th and I owned the house at that time so why not phone it in. I've got my fingers crossed, hoping for the best. I wound up going with a roofing company owned by somebody else in this neighborhood. He was the only one to get the estimate in on time, and I've already been dealing with delays and the front door... The other quote arrived four days after it was promised, and I'd already called up the company I went with to let them know I was going with them at that point. It was a tough call though - the person behind me was about $1,300 higher but I noticed that the late quote was lacking some of the other things that would cost extra. The ridge venting and lots of flashing, for instance. Not sure if the area was quoted differently - that could affect things too.

So for right now I'm just hurrying up to wait. Insurance helping with the roof would really be great because it would free me up to do more around the house. I do have a concept for what I'd like the fireplace to look like but no clue who builds such a thing. I would really like to get the floor and fireplace done soon. Maybe if insurance will cover the roof I could use the savings to pay for someone else to install the flooring... I'll be able to do it this fall though; my long trip back to Seattle has been delayed a few months. Just love being here in limbo for now though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Locations of visitors to this page